JUST IN TIME TO GRACE YOUR HOLIDAY TABLE!
If you're looking for a delightful dessert that captures the essence of fall, this Cranberry Upside Down Cake is the perfect treat. The combination of sweet and tart cranberries with a moist and tender cake creates a symphony of flavors that will please any palate. Let's dive into the details of this scrumptious recipe.
For the Topping:
4 tablespoons (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter
3⁄4 cup brown sugar
9 ounces (2 2⁄3 cups) fresh cranberries
1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
For the Batter:
1 1⁄2 cups Guardian Grains SPELT flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, separated
1⁄2 cup whole milk
1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare the Topping: Place 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter and brown sugar in a 9-inch round cake pan. Put it in the oven to melt, stirring as the sugar dissolves. When the sugar caramelizes, remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool.
3. Cranberry Layer: In a small bowl, toss fresh cranberries with orange juice. Spread the cranberries evenly in the pan, and sprinkle with any remaining juice. Set the pan aside and move on to preparing the cake batter.
4. Cake Batter: In a large mixing bowl, sift together spelt flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, cream butter with sugar until pale and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat in egg yolks one at a time. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the batter, ending with the dry ingredients. Set the batter aside.
5. Egg Whites: Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, one-third at a time.
6. Bake: Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly over the cranberries. Bake until the top is browned, and the cake pulls away slightly from the edges of the pan, usually 25 to 35 minutes.
7. Cool and Serve: Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes before turning it onto a cake plate. Serve this delightful Cranberry Upside Down Cake with slightly sweetened whipped cream for the perfect finishing touch.
Indulge in the rich flavors of this Cranberry Upside Down Cake, a delightful dessert that's sure to become a favorite at your table. Enjoy!
Don't Let this be your fate! Ha!